If you're anything like me, when Spring weather turns into Summer, you immediately regret not keeping up with your New Year's Resolution that quickly faded about the time Girl Scout cookies rolled out (seriously? What is up with their timing!!) Luckily for me, and you, Emily from Strengthen Personal Training, LLC is here to give us tips and moves to whip our bodies into summer shape while keeping in mind our crazy mama schedules!
Emily Nadaud, owner and certified personal trainer from Strengthen Personal Training, has been sculpting bodies and motivating a healthy lifestyle in her clients since 2007. With an Exercise Science degree from Marquette University, and certifications as an ACE Personal Trainer and Pre and Post Natal Personal Trainer, Emily is an expert at helping her clients with their range of fitness needs!
As a mama to two boys, Jackson (3) and Hudson (6 1/2 months), Emily knows all about the struggle some mom's face when it comes to fitness. From busy schedules to "too out of shape" she's heard it all! When I met up with her at her gym to discuss this series, I asked her what motivated her to be a Fit Mama. "For me, its about my kids. I want to be healthy and a set a good example for them for living a healthy lifestyle. I also find that when I take the time during the day to take care of myself, I'm in a better mood and able to be a better mom." She currently works out 4-6 times a week for anywhere from 20-90 minutes at a time. She does cardio every workout and weight training 4 days a week.
As a personal trainer who is certified in pre and post natal fitness, Emily has been helping moms keep up a healthy lifestyle while pregnant and working with them to get back into shape after baby! Having gone through the experience twice now, Emily is an expert at providing safe and effective training throughout the whole process!
Pre and Post Natal Training is only one element of Emily's business! Her services include general fitness training, weight loss training, and muscular strength training! She offers Private Personal Training Services, Small Group Training, and Large Group Training!
She currently pays rent to train her clients at Fit180 locations around Dallas, but she also trains clients in their own home! Worried that you don't have the right equipment? No worries! She'll bring it to you!! Need helping creating a workout, but not sure a trainer is right for you? Emily can also create a personalized exercise prescriptions to meet your body needs and fit the time and equipment you have at home! (AH-MAZING!!!!!)
Today, she's giving us a Summer Slim Down Circuit guaranteed to get your heart pumping, burn some serious calories, and get you in shape and energized for summer!
5 simple moves to get your body sweating and into summer shape in no time!
Start with a 60 second warm up of your choice! Emily recommends jumping jacks, high knees, or butt kicks! Complete each exercise for 30 seconds to complete 1 circuit.
1. SQUATS with an OVERHEAD PRESS
- FORM: Feet shoulder width apart, knees should not go past your toes, shoulders stacked above hips, dumbells push straight above head.
- Start with feet shoulder width a part, dumbbells at your shoulders. Squat down keeping knees behind your toes, glutes toward the floor. As you stand up, press the dumbbells directly above your shoulders.
- If you don't have dumbbells, try anything for a little extra weight! Canned foot, a chair, a broom, your child!! :)
- MODIFICATION: simply hold the dumbbells at your shoulders, eliminate the press.
2. PUSH UPS
- FORM: Start in a plank position, hands slightly wider than shoulders. Lower down as far as you can go and push back up to plank. It should be one fluid range of motion, no pauses.
- MODIFICATION: In plank, drop knees to the ground.
3. GLUTE LIFTS
- FORM: Lie on floor, feet flat to the ground, knees bent. Scoot heels toward your glutes. Squeeze glutes and lift hips off of the floor. Core tight, hover for a couple of seconds and lower back down.
- MODIFICATION: Scoot your heels further out from your glutes for a less challenging lift.
4. SIDE PLANK WITH SIDE CRUNCH
- FORM: Feet stacked, hand under shoulder, opposite hand up to your ear. Lift knee to meet elbow as you constrict your side. Release back down to start. 30 seconds each side.
- MODIFICATION: Lower bottom knee to the ground.
5. ALTERNATING LUNGE JUMPS
- FORM: Start in a lunge. Bend both knees, jump up, land in opposite lunge.
- MODIFICATION: Alternating lunges without the jump.
Beginners repeat the circuit 3-5 times; Intermediate: 5-8 times; Advanced: 8-10 times!
If you're interested in her training services, make sure you check her out on Facebook and Instagram or email her at email@example.com!